Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Islamic Art Exhibit at the Louvre

On Friday night I went to the Louvre.  Evenings are better times to go there since there are a LOT fewer people than on weekends, and since my days are spent in a research lab, Friday was a good time to go.

The Louvre has a special exhibit on Islamic Art from the 7th century on.  Much of what was displayed was, happily for me, tiles and pottery!  There were so many pieces of pottery that I couldn't take photos of all of them.  Ditto for tiles.  But it was a marvelous visit.  I may even go back this Wednesday when the Louvre has late night hours again.  One of the things I learned is that Islamic art does not forbid human shapes.  As you will see in the photos at the website below, on one of the tile sets, there is a human face.  And there are lots of animals represented in the files and pottery.

Here's a favorite photo I took, but you can find more, complete with plaques that tell their origins and materials, at the following website:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/candysidner/sets/72157631774457394/



1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogland! I'll be checking to see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete